Hamel tosses complete game shutout in opener, offense breaks out for 12 runs in game two
QUINCY, Mass. (April 28, 2017) – The Western New England University baseball team wrapped up Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) play with two wins over Eastern Nazarene College on Friday evening at Adams Field. Sophomore left-hander Bob Hamel (Southwick, Mass.) turned in a complete game shutout in the opener as the Golden Bears posted a 2-0 victory, before the offense broke out in game two, leading Western New England to a 12-5 triumph.
Western New England 2, Eastern Nazarene 0
• Hamel was dominant on the mound in game one, striking out five batters and allowing just three hits over his seven innings of work to improve to 6-2 this season.
• Senior Daniel Morin (Salem, N.H.) and sophomore Aaron Rios (Stratford, Conn.) each went 2-for-3 at the plate, while sophomores Ben LaCroix (Branford, Conn.) and Joe Cassella (Wallingford, Conn.) drove in one run each.
• Eastern Nazarene sophomore southpaw Xavier Faria (Assonet, Mass.) took the loss despite a solid outing in which he surrendered two runs on five hits over 5.2 frames.
• Western New England opened the scoring in the third inning, as sophomore Erik Lacaire (Worcester, Mass.) walked with one out before advancing to second when Morin was issued a free pass before coming in to score on LaCroix's single to center field.
• The Golden Bears added a run to their lead in the top of the sixth, as Cassella came through with a clutch, two-out RBI single to left field, scoring junior Jared Rosenblatt (Avon, Conn.) from third.
• Hamel capped his impressive performance by retiring the side in order in both the sixth and seventh innings.
Western New England 12, Eastern Nazarene 5
• Morin again led the Western New England offense, going 2-for-4 with a home run and three RBI. Rosenblatt and Cassella both posted 2-for-3 efforts with two RBI, while sophomore Alex Loparco (Riverside, Conn.) added two hits and scored two runs.
• Sophomore right-hander Paul Wetmore (Hamden, Conn.) earned the win after allowing just one run on six hits over five innings.
• Freshman Steven Pesce (Harrison, N.Y.) doubled and drove in two runs as part of a 3-for-4 performance at the plate for the Lions.
• Western New England again took an early lead on an RBI double by LaCroix in the top of the first, but Eastern Nazarene answered in the bottom half of the inning with an RBI groundout by freshman Devin Haberstumpf (Forest Hills, N.Y.).
• The Golden Bears regained the lead in the second on an RBI single by Morin, before opening up a 5-1 advantage in the fourth with the help of RBI hits by Lacaire and Rosenblatt.
• Western New England added two runs each in the fifth and sixth innings, while Eastern Nazarene cut its deficit to five (10-5) with four runs in the bottom of the sixth.
• Morin's two-run shot to left field in the top of the seventh capped the scoring in the contest.
• Hamel has gone the distance in five of his eight starts this season.
• Morin now has 12 career home runs, which is tied for third in program history.
Western New England (21-13, 10-6 CCC) will be right back in action tomorrow, as the Golden Bears are set to host Westfield State in a non-conference contest at 1 p.m. Eastern Nazarene (11-20-2, 2-12 CCC) wraps up its regular season slate tomorrow against Gordon.