Loparco goes 4-for-5 with fifth career home run
AUBURNDALE, Fla. (March 18, 2018) – Clarkson University built an eight-run lead on its way to a 13-5 win over Western New England University on Sunday morning in non-conference baseball action at the Lake Myrtle Sports Complex.
• Junior shortstop Alex Loparco (Riverside, Conn.) led the Golden Bears at the plate, going 4-for-5 with a home run.
• Junior outfielder Erik Lacaire (Worcester, Mass.) went 2-for-5 with one RBI, while sophomore second baseman Kevin Johnson (Waterford, Conn.) recorded a two-run single.
• Clarkson junior catcher Mike Krick (Cicero, N.Y.) was among seven Golden Knights to drive in at least one run, as he went 2-for-5 with a double and three RBI
• Junior Brad Pearson (Clifton Park, N.Y.) went 4-for-6 with two RBI and two runs scored, while senior right-hander Rory Corcoran (Massena, N.Y.) earned the win after allowing three runs over seven innings.
Clarkson claimed a 2-0 lead in the third inning on an RBI single by senior Will Coleman (Potsdam, N.Y.) and an RBI groundout from Pearson.
The Golden Knights then erupted for six runs in the fifth to extend their advantage to 8-0. Senior Ben Knauf (Spencerport, N.Y.), Pearson and Krick all tallied RBI hits in the frame for Clarkson.
Western New England broke through for a pair of runs in the bottom of the fifth on Johnson's RBI single, but Clarkson restored its eight-score lead (10-2) with single runs in the sixth and seventh.
Loparco hit his fifth career home run in the bottom of the seventh, before the Golden Knights tacked on three more runs in the eighth.
Western New England capped the scoring in the ninth on an RBI groundout by Lacaire and an RBI single by freshman Neil Velasquez (Stratford, Conn.).
• The Golden Knights outhit the Golden Bears 17-12.
• Junior right-hander Paul Wetmore (Hamden, Conn.) dropped to 1-1 with the loss after allowing eight runs (six earned) on nine hits over 4.1 innings.
• Loparco leads the Golden Bears with 14 hits this season.
Western New England (3-3) returns to action on Monday morning at 9:30 a.m. against Westminster (Mo.) at the Chain of Lakes Complex in Winter Haven.