Golden Bears return home to host Husson on Saturday
TROY, N.Y. (September 16, 2017) – The Rensseleaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) football team scored 21 straight points in the second and third quarters on its way to a 31-14 victory over Western New England University on Saturday afternoon in non-conference action at ECAV Stadium.
• Sophomore running back Peter Hoff (Shelton, Conn.) led the Golden Bears with 75 rushing yards and one touchdown on 19 carries.
• Senior receiver Mark Dietrich (Cheshire, Conn.) hauled in six receptions for 72 yards.
• Defensively, senior safety Sam Olsson (Milford, Conn.) recorded a team-high 11 tackles (four solo).
• RPI junior Nick Cella (Holmdel, N.J.) ran for 98 yards and a touchdown, while senior Ethan Wells (Windsor, Mass.) also collected 57 yards and one score on the ground.
• Senior Bryan Hayes (Boylston, Mass.) led the RPI defense with 13 tackles and one pass breakup.
• RPI jumped out to a 7-0 lead when junior quarterback Ed Trimpert (Hillsborough, N.J.) found senior running back Johnny Ramsdell (Haverhill, Mass.) for a 37-yard touchdown at the 12:08 mark of the first quarter.
• Hoff knotted the score with a four-yard touchdown run with 5:11 left in the opening period, capping a 13-play, 66-yard drive.
• The Engineers pulled back ahead on a two-yard touchdown run by Cella with 4:10 left in the half. After a fumble recovery, RPI went up 21-7 at the 2:16 mark on a nine-yard run by Wells.
• RPI added to its lead midway through the third quarter on a six-yard rushing touchdown by junior Maliek Kelly (Staten Island, N.Y.).
• Western New England pulled back to within two scores (28-14) on a one-yard plunge by senior quarterback Anthony Service (Lake Ronkonkoma, N.Y.) late in the third quarter,
• RPI capped the scoring at with 4:46 left in the contest on a 32-yard field goal by senior kicker Christian Kapp (Amawalk, N.Y.).
• RPI outgained Western New England 358-336 in the first ever meeting between the two programs.
• Junior Kurtis Jolicoeur (Windham, N.H.) recorded eight tackles, one sack, and one forced fumble for the Golden Bears.
Western New England (1-2) returns home next Saturday to host Husson University in a rematch of last season's NCAA Tournament first round contest, while RPI (3-0) travels to Buffalo State next weekend.