Service breaks program's all-time passing touchdown record with two TD passes
LEICESTER, Mass. (October 21, 2017) – Senior quarterback Anthony Service (Lake Ronkonkoma, N.Y.) became Western New England University's all-time passing touchdown leader in the Golden Bears' 45-0 victory at Becker College on Saturday afternoon in Commonwealth Coast Football (CCC Football) action at Alumni Field.
• Service completed 11-of-21 pass attempts for 205 yards and two touchdowns, in the process eclipsing the program record of 39 career touchdown passes set by 2017 Downes Athletic Hall of Fame inductee Justin Walz '10. Service also carried the ball a team-high nine times for 48 yards (5.3 avg.)
• Senior wide receiver Mark Dietrich (Cheshire, Conn.) and junior wing Jared Wolfe (Seaford, N.Y.) both finished with three catches and one touchdown while combining for 153 receiving yards.
• Sophomore quarterback Alec Coleman (Arlington, Mass.), who took over for Service in the third quarter, was Western New England's leading rusher with 88 yards, most of which came on a 72-yard touchdown run.
• Senior linebacker Tim Huffam (Medway, Mass.) led the Golden Bears' dominant defensive effort with a team-high seven tackles.
• Becker junior quarterback Nas Sinkield-Shelton (New Rochelle, N.Y.) accounted for 76 yards of total offense (42 passing, 34 rushing).
• Hawks sophomore linebacker Michael Bianco (Manorville, N.Y.) finished with a game-high 11 tackles, including two sacks, to go with a pair of forced fumbles.
• Western New England received the opening kickoff and wasted no time in putting points on the board, as Service found Wolfe for a 50-yard touchdown on the Golden Bears' third offensive play.
• After their next three possessions ended without points, the Golden Bears took a 14-0 lead at the 11:10 mark of the second quarter when Service connected with Dietrich for a 58-yard touchdown.
• Sophomore Damond Davis (Springfield, Mass.) capped a nine-play, 79-yard drive with a two-yard touchdown run with 4:25 left in the quarter, and sophomore Kieran Lombard (Dover, N.H.) converted a 25-yard field goal as time expired to give Western New England a 24-0 advantage at halftime.
• Senior Dante Aiken (Brooklyn, N.Y.) found the end zone from four yards out to cap a 49-yard drive on the Golden Bears' first possession of the second half, and Coleman scored on a 72-yard run late in the third quarter as Western New England extended its cushion to 38-0.
• A 33-yard touchdown run by junior Matt Anastasi (Stoughton, Mass.) with 3:50 remaining capped the scoring in the contest.
• The Western New England defense limited Becker to 117 yards of total offense and 11 first downs. The Hawks averaged 2.3 yards per play, punted nine times, and advanced the ball past midfield on just one of their 11 possessions.
• Nine different Golden Bears had at least one carry, while Service and Coleman spread the ball around to nine different receivers.
• Western New England has won four consecutive games since opening the season 1-2.
• In 25 career games, Service has thrown for 40 touchdowns and just five interceptions.
Western New England (5-2, 2-0 CCC Football) returns home next Saturday for a key conference showdown with Salve Regina University at 1 p.m. Becker (0-7, 0-2 CCC Football) travels to Nichols on Saturday.