Carlson scores Western New England's lone goal late in first half
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (September 6, 2017) – The Springfield College field hockey team scored a pair of second half goals to edge Western New England University, 2-1, in non-conference action on Wednesday afternoon at Golden Bear Stadium.
• Senior forward Michelle Carlson (Hackettstown, N.J.) accounted for Western New England's lone goal of the contest with just over three minutes remaining in the first half.
• Senior goalkeeper Grace Trupe (Cardiff, Calif.) made 14 saves, matching her career-high.
• Senior forward Maggie Kennedy (Clay, N.Y.) factored into both Springfield goals, as she provided the assist on sophomore Gabby Guerard's (Derry, N.H.) equalizer before scoring the go-ahead goal with 14 minutes remaining.
• After almost 32 minutes of scoreless action, Carlson got the Golden Bears on the board as she received a pass from senior Allison Jackson (Mahopac, N.Y.) and beat Springfield junior goalie Emmaline Drake (Pittsford, N.Y.).
• Western New England held a 1-0 lead at halftime, but the Pride pulled even at the 50:21 mark on Guerard's first goal of the season.
• Just 5:39 later, Kennedy scored the goal that would stand as the game-winner on a feed from sophomore Belle Copponi (Dover, Mass.).
• Springfield outshot Western New England 31-6, including 19-1 over the final 35 minutes of action.
• The Pride also held a 12-1 advantage in penalty corners.
• Trupe's 14 saves are her most since tallying 14 in a 3-0 loss to Springfield on September 17, 2015.
Western New England (1-1) continues its three-game homestand on Saturday against Clark, while Springfield (3-0) returns home to host Husson.