Trupe finishes with 14 saves for Western New England
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (September 22, 2017) – The Western New England University field hockey team battled the University of New England through nearly 89 minutes of action, before the Nor'easters came away with a 2-1, double overtime victory on Friday evening in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) play at Golden Bear Stadium.
• Senior goalie Grace Trupe (Cardiff, Calif.) matched her career-high for the second time this season with 14 saves. Trupe was at her best late in the contest, making eight saves alone in the first overtime period.
• Senior forward Michelle Carlson (Hackettstown, N.J.) scored Western New England's lone goal with the help of an assist from senior defender Amber Meehan (Orange, Mass.).
• Seniors Kyla Bartnicki (Niskayuna, N.Y.) and Olivia Madore (Lyman, Maine) both recorded goals for UNE.
• Bartnicki put UNE in front at the 19:17 mark of the first half.
• The Nor'easters led at the break and held onto their one-goal advantage until Carlson tied the contest 15:41 into the second period.
• Trupe withstood a barrage of UNE shots in the first overtime session, but Madore secured the game-winner with 11:06 left in regulation.
• Carlson ranks second on the team with four goals this season.
• UNE outshot Western New England 23-7 and held a 10-3 advantage in penalty corners.
Western New England (3-3, 1-2 CCC) hosts Gordon on Wednesday night at 7 p.m., while UNE (6-2, 3-1 CCC) travels to Colby on Tuesday.