DeLima scores two goals, records 100th career point
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (September 27, 2017) – In a game that featured four ties, the Western New England University field hockey team pulled away late in the second half to earn a 7-4 victory over Gordon College on Wednesday night in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action at Golden Bear Stadium.
• Senior forward Michelle Carlson (Hackettstown, N.J.) was among three Golden Bears to record multiple points with two goals and one assist.
• Senior forward Brittany DeLima (Branchville, N.J.) added to her team-leading total with her seventh and eighth goals of the season, in the process surpassing the 100-point mark for her career.
• Senior midfielder Allison Jackson (Mahopac, N.Y.) was also a key contributor offensively, tallying a goal and two assists.
• Senior goalkeeper Dominique Corveddu (Croton-on-Hudson, N.Y.) came on for the final 18:39 and stopped all five of the shots that she faced to earn the win.
• Senior forward Emily Allcroft (Haydenville, Mass.) factored into three of Gordon's four goals, scoring one herself and setting up two others.
• Western New England led 2-1 at halftime with goals from DeLima (22:06) and Carlson (30:15).
• Gordon sophomore Sabrina Jandreau (Winslow, Maine) scored 1:15 into the second period to tie the score at 2-2, before Allcroft put the Fighting Scots ahead at the 46:40 mark.
• Western New England senior defender Amber Meehan (Orange, Mass.) converted a penalty stroke just 16 seconds later to tie the contest for the third time.
• With the score tied 4-4 later in the half, Western New England capitalized on a penalty corner to regain a 5-4 edge. Freshman Haley Daigneault (Longmeadow, Mass.) tipped in junior Lana Felice's (Pawling, N.Y.) shot at the 55:13 mark to give the Golden Bears the lead for good.
• Carlson made it 6-4 just over two minutes later, and Jackson added to Western New England's lead with 8:50 remaining when she fired a shot into the cage following a penalty corner.
• Corveddu stopped a flurry of Gordon shots in the 65th minute to preserve the three-goal lead, as the Golden Bears held on for the victory.
• Western New England outshot Gordon 29-12 and held a 14-7 advantage in penalty corners.
• Meehan's penalty stroke goal marked the second of her career.
• DeLima is now tied with Alyssa Katz '06 for third in program history with 37 career goals, while her 103 points move her past Katz into third place on the program's all-time list. She is one of four Golden Bears to record 100 career points, joining Katz (102), Cori Eggert '08 (122) and Allison Jameson '07 (147).
Both teams will be back in action on Saturday, as Western New England (4-3, 2-2 CCC) travels to Endicott, and Gordon (2-4, 1-3 CCC) returns home to host Roger Williams.