Carlson leads Golden Bears with two goals, Harvey & DeLima tally one goal & one assist each
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (October 25, 2017) – The Western New England University field hockey team established a 4-0 lead on its way to a 5-1 victory over Roger Williams University on Wednesday afternoon in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action at Golden Bear Stadium.
• Senior forward Michelle Carlson (Hackettstown, N.J.) led the Golden Bears offensively, scoring two goals.
• Senior forward Brittany DeLima (Branchville, N.J.) and junior forward Halle Harvey (Millers Falls, Mass.) both tallied a goal and an assist for Western New England.
• Freshman forward Lea Peterson (Upton, Mass.) scored the lone goal for the Hawks in the second half.
• Carlson got the Golden Bears on the board 6:39 into the contest with her ninth goal of the season.
• Sophomore forward Madison Barron (Lebanon, Pa.) put home a rebound at the 24:51 mark to make it 2-0, and Western New England led by the same margin at the break.
• Just under five minutes into the second half, sophomore forward Jacqueline Clark (Auburn, Mass.) sent a pass across the middle to DeLima, who beat Roger Williams junior goalie Mya Lunn (Marion, Mass.) with a shot to her right.
• The Golden Bears extended their advantage to 4-0 on Carlson's second goal in the 47th minute, before Peterson got the visitors on the board at the 48:08 mark.
• Harvey capped the scoring with her first career goal on a feed from DeLima with 3:35 left in the contest.
• Western New England outshot Roger Williams 14-11 and held a 13-8 advantage in penalty corners.
• Senior goalie Grace Trupe (Cardiff, Calif.) earned the win in the cage, making four saves in 61:33 of action.
Western New England (8-9, 4-6 CCC) wraps up its regular season schedule on Saturday at Gordon, while Roger Williams (5-11, 3-8 CCC) travels to Endicott on Friday.