Pettway & Silva lead Western New England with nine & seven points respectively
BOSTON, Mass. (November 22, 2016) – The Western New England University men's basketball team dropped a 91-54 decision to NCAA Division I member Boston University this afternoon at Case Gymnasium.
Western New England kept the contest close for a good portion of the first half, trailing by just seven (24-17) with 9:17 remaining, but the Terriers closed out the half with a 27-3 run to claim a 51-20 lead at the break.
• Sophomore guard Mikey Pettway (Bridgeport, Conn.) led the Golden Bears with nine points in 17 minutes off the bench, as he connected on 2-of-3 three-pointers and 3-of-4 free throw attempts.
• Senior forward Daniel Silva (Seekonk, Mass.) posted a solid all-around effort with seven points on 3-of-6 shooting, five rebounds and four assists.
• Freshman guard Mike McGuire (Garden City, N.Y.) chipped in with five points, three boards and one assist in 17 minutes off the bench.
• Boston University sophomore guard Kamali Chambers (Golden Valley, Minn.) led three Terriers in double-figures with a game-high 16 points on 4-of-7 shooting from the field, 2-of-4 from beyond the arc and 6-of-7 from the charity stripe.
• Junior guard Will Goff (Scottsdale, Ariz.) and freshman guard Destin Barnes (Chicago, Ill.) added 14 and 12 points, respectively, while also combining for nine assists and seven rebounds.
• Junior guard Cheddi Mosely (Jersey City, N.J.) knocked down a pair of early three-pointers as BU raced out to a quick 8-0 lead. The Golden Bears used triples from senior guard Mike Gelineau (Waltham, Mass.) and Silva to cut their deficit to five (15-10), but the Terriers answered with a 6-0 run to extend their advantage to 11.
• Western New England was able to stay within striking distance as McGuire connected from long range at the 10:55 mark, and Pettway followed with a trey 1:38 later as the Golden Bears pulled to within seven (24-17).
• BU took control from there, however, putting together a 14-0 run over the next 4:22 to open up a 38-17 cushion. Western New England trailed 51-20 at the break as the Terriers answered a three-pointer by freshman guard Nick DeGennaro (Yorktown Heights, N.Y.) with 13 straight points to close out the half.
• The Golden Bears got as close as 25 (57-32) five minutes into the second half following a 10-0 run that featured four points from sophomore forward Tyler Johnson (Vernon, Conn.) and three-pointers by Pettway and freshman Mike McCourt (Lincoln, R.I.).
• BU pulled away from there as the Western New England reserves played extended minutes late in the second half.
• The Golden Bears shot 30.6% from the field (19-of-62), including 31% (9-of-29) from long range. BU made 32-of-56 (57.1%) field goals, including 12-of-30 (40%) three-pointers.
• The Terriers held a 44-30 advantage on the glass.
• All 16 players on Western New England's roster played at least six minutes, with 11 Golden Bears seeing 10+ minutes of action.
Western New England (1-3) returns to action on Wednesday, November 30, when the Golden Bears open Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) play at Salve Regina. BU (4-1) opens a stretch of three straight road games on Monday, November 28 at Saint Peter's.