Senior John Abbott tied atop the leaderboard with opening round 73
NEWINGTON, Conn.. (September 9, 2017) – The Western New England University men's golf team opened its 2017-18 season on Saturday at the Bill Detrick Invitational, hosted by Trinity College at Indian Hill Country Club.
The Golden Bears sit in third place overall in the ten-team field following round one action with a score of 389. Trinity's "A" team is leading the field with a score of 383, while the Trinity "B" squad is in second place (384). Babson (398) and Amherst (399) are in fourth and fifth, respectively.
• Senior John Abbott (Higganum, Conn.) is tied atop the leaderboard with a score of 73 through 18 holes.
• Senior Mike Metcalf (Longmeadow, Mass.) fired an opening round 75 and is tied for fifth place overall in the 63-player field.
• Senior Joe Ciolek's (South Hadley, Mass.) 77 has him tied for 11th.
Also Competing for Western New England
• Freshman Tyler Sinacola (North Attleboro, Mass.) turned in an 80 in his first collegiate round, good for a tie for 22nd.
• Senior Marcus Frank (Thomaston, Conn.) is tied for 46th after posting an 84.
Western New England will be right back in action tomorrow with round two of the Bill Detrick Invitational.