Senior John Abbott places fifth overall with two-day score of 150
NEWINGTON, Conn. (September 10, 2017) – The Western New England University men's golf team turned in a third place finish over the weekend at the Bill Detrick Invitational, hosted by Trinity College at Indian Hill Country Club.
The Golden Bears, who entered Sunday's action in third place in the ten-team field with a round one score of 389, maintained their position through round two after recording a 394 on the day. Trinity College's "A" team took the top spot in the tournament with a score of 759, while the "B" squad placed seventh with a 770. Amherst College (789) and Babson College (792) finished fourth and fifth, respectively.
• Senior John Abbott (Higganum, Conn.), who was tied at the top of the 63-player field following his one-over par 73 during round one, finished fifth overall (150) after carding a 77 on Sunday.
• Senior Mike Metcalf (Longmeadow, Mass.) followed up Saturday's 75 with a 78 in round two and finished tied for tenth with a two-day score of 153.
• Senior Joe Ciolek (South Hadley, Mass.) fired an 81 on Sunday and tied for 18th overall with a two-day total of 158.
Also Competing for Western New England
• Freshman Tyler Sinacola (North Attleboro, Mass.) posted an 83 during round two and a score of 163 overall, good for a tie for 30th.
• Freshman Ryan Zogby (New Hartford, N.Y.) turned in Western New England's best score of round two with a three-over par 75. His overall score of 163 placed him in a tie with Sinacola for 30th overall.
Western New England will be back in action next weekend at the Duke Nelson Invitational, hosted by Middlebury College at Ralph Myhre Golf Course in Middlebury, Vt.