Western New England returns to action on Tuesday against Post
WEST SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (November 18, 2017) – The Western New England University ice hockey team suffered a 5-0 setback to Suffolk University on Saturday afternoon in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action at the Olympia Ice Center.
• Junior CJ Totillo (Brooklyn, N.Y.) recorded a team-high six shots, while senior Matt Smethurst (Rexford, N.Y.) went 10-for-19 in the faceoff circle.
• Senior defenseman Sam Kent (East Sandwich, Mass.) factored into three Suffolk goals, as he scored and dished out a pair of assists, while freshman Joseph Mortillaro (Tampa, Fla.) found the back of the net twice.
• Rams junior netminder Michael Levine (Clarendon Hill, Ill.) registered a 38-save shutout.
• Suffolk struck first 11 minutes into the contest, as the Rams capitalized on a power play opportunity with Kent and sophomore Brian Brooks (Canton, Mass.) setting up freshman Matt Bucher (Cromwell, Conn.) for his third goal of the season.
• Mortillaro scored midway through second period to give the Rams a 2-0 advantage, and the visitors led by the same margin at the intermission.
• Junior Nick Mosher (Cumming, Ga.), Mortillaro, and Kent all found the back of the net in the third period to seal the win for Suffolk.
• Western New England outshot Suffolk 38-32.
• The Rams held a 31-28 advantage in the faceoff circle.
Western New England (2-4-1, 1-4-1 CCC) hosts Post University in a non-conference contest on Tuesday afternoon at 2 p.m., while Suffolk (3-4, 2-4 CCC) returns to action on Saturday against UMass Dartmouth.