Beck records two assists, Gollmer finishes with 38 saves
BRYN ATHYN, Pa. (January 10, 2018) – Led by a two-goal effort from junior forward Matt O'Dea (Orland Park, Ill.), the Western New England University ice hockey team skated to a 2-2 tie at Bryn Athyn (Pa.) College on Wednesday afternoon in non-conference action at Junge Pavilion.
• O'Dea, who recorded seven shots in the contest, scored both of his goals less than three minutes apart midway through the third period.
• Junior forward Steve Beck (Milton, N.Y.) was credited with assists on both of O'Dea's goals. Beck also put a team-high nine shots on target and went 8-for-20 in the faceoff circle.
• Junior goaltender Kevin Gollmer (Flourtown, Pa.) finished with 38 saves on 40 Bryn Athyn shots.
• Bryn Athyn was led by senior Connor Buick (Kitimat, B.C.) and sophomore Nikita Smirnov (Kharkiv, Ukraine), who both found the back of the net.
Buick scored the only goal of the first period with the help of assists from freshmen Riley Flynn (Summit, N.J.) and Nick Malvasi (Lincroft, N.J.) at the 11:46 mark. Bryn Athyn outshot Western New England 12-9 in the frame and led 1-0 at the first intermission.
After a scoreless second period, O'Dea got the Golden Bears on the board with a shorthanded goal 7:38 into the third. Bryn Athyn briefly regained the lead on Smirnov's power play tally 23 seconds later, but Beck set up O'Dea for the game-tying goal at the 10:17 mark.
Gollmer and Bryn Athyn freshman netminder McKenzie Chalmers (Calgary, Alta.) stopped all of the shots they faced over the remainder of regulation and the five-minute overtime period as the Golden Bears and Lions settled for a 2-2 tie.
• Bryn Athyn outshot Western New England 40-36 and held a 48-47 edge in the faceoff circle.
• O'Dea (23) and Beck (22) rank first and second on the team in points.
• Junior CJ Totillo (Brooklyn, N.Y.) went 18-for-27 in the faceoff circle to lead the Golden Bears.
Western New England (6-9-2) will be off until Thursday, January 18, when the Golden Bears resume their Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) schedule at Johnson & Wales University. Bryn Athyn (5-7-1) continues its five-game homestand against Chatham on Saturday.