Kleyman, Totillo & Beck score for Golden Bears
WORCESTER, Mass. (February 8, 2018) – A four-goal second period lifted Becker College to a 6-3 win over Western New England University on Thursday night in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) men's ice hockey action at the Worcester Ice Center.
• Junior David Kleyman (Brooklyn, N.Y.) extended his point streak to four games with a goal and an assist.
• Juniors CJ Totillo (Brooklyn, N.Y.) and Steve Beck (Milton, N.Y.) also scored for the Golden Bears, while senior Matt Audet (Campbell, Calif.) and junior Matt O'Dea (Orland Park, Ill.) recorded assists.
• Freshman forward Charles Costello (Philadelphia, Pa.) powered the Becker offense with two goals and two assists.
• Senior Corey Sherman (Hilton, N.Y.) also posted a multi-point performance with two goals and one assist, while senior James Wallace (Levittown, Pa.) and sophomore Trey McMillen (Grapevine, Tex.) both found the back of the net.
• Sophomore goaltender Cody Foster (Saugus, Calif.) finished with 40 saves in net.
McMillen opened the scoring for the Hawks 2:09 into the first period, but Western New England tied the contest with 1:32 remaining in the frame as Beck recorded his 14th goal of the season.
Sherman put the Hawks back in front at the 4:12 mark of the second period, and Wallace made it 3-1 less than a minute later. Kleyman scored with 11:31 on the clock to get the Golden Bears back to within a goal, but Sherman and Costello answered for the Hawks later in the period as Becker extended its lead to 5-2 heading into the third.
Despite holding a commanding 24-3 advantage in shots over the final 20 minutes of play, the Golden Bears were only able to muster one goal in the third period.
Audet and Kleyman set up Totillo for a power play score at the 8:15 mark, but Western New England would get no closer. Costello buried an empty-netter with 1:32 remaining to extend the final margin to three.
• Western New England outshot Becker 43-24, but the Hawks held a 32-26 advantage in the faceoff circle.
• Sophomore goaltender Kyle Carducci (Hartford, Conn.) made six saves and allowed just one goal in 29:05 of action.
• Kleyman has recorded nine points in ten games this season.
Western New England (8-13-3, 3-12-2 CCC) hosts Becker (5-17-1, 3-14 CCC) on Saturday afternoon in the regular season finale for both teams at the Olympia Ice Center.