Gamba posts fourth consecutive multi-point performance for Golden Bears
NORFOLK, Va. (March 22, 2018) – The No. 16 ranked St. Lawrence University men's lacrosse team held Western New England University scoreless in the first half on its way to a 13-5 win over the Golden Bears on Thursday morning at Wynne-Darden Stadium on the campus of Norfolk Academy.
• Sophomore Nick Gamba (East Islip, N.Y.) posted a three-point effort with a goal and two assists, while senior Nicholas Beauchamp (Wilbraham, Mass.) scored twice and junior Tim Breau (Lima, N.Y.) handed out a pair of assists.
• Seeing extended faceoff duty for the first time in his career, freshman Jack Seiter (Ridgewood, N.J.) went 12-for-19 at the X, while classmate Mitch Weiss (Westfield, Mass.) scooped up a game-high eight ground balls and caused two turnovers.
• St. Lawrence was led by senior attackman Jordan Dow (Sudbury, Mass.), who produced five points with four goals and one assist to go with four ground balls.
• Sophomore Mike Donnelly (Mansfield, Mass.) registered a hat trick, while senior Sam Boehle (Ridgefield, Conn.) chipped in with two goals.
Donnelly scored the only goal of the first quarter just over five minutes into the period, and the Saints led 1-0 through 15 minutes of play.
St. Lawrence again blanked the Golden Bears in the second quarter while putting six goals on the board in the frame, as the Saints opened up a 7-0 advantage at the break.
Western New England broke through 49 seconds into the second half, as Beauchamp scored on a feed from Gamba to make it 7-1. The two teams traded goals throughout the third quarter, but St. Lawrence was able to take an eight-goal lead into the fourth after Dow (2:03) and Boehle (1:35) found the back of the cage late in the period.
The Golden Bears got man-up goals from junior Jared Ward (Littleton, Mass.) and sophomore Brendan Lyons (Syosset, N.Y.) in the fourth quarter, but Dow and freshman Dan Robinson (Bridgewater, Vt.) both scored for St. Lawrence as the Saints went on to win by the same margin.
• The Saints outshot the Golden Bears 37-21 and held a 40-27 advantage in ground balls.
• Western New England senior goalie Steven Kerr (Hopkinton, Mass.) and St. Lawrence sophomore Alex Terry (Hopkinton, Mass.) finished with 11 and seven saves, respectively.
• Gamba has recorded multiple points in four straight games and five of seven overall this season.
Both teams will be back in action on Saturday, as Western New England (3-4) makes the short trip to crosstown rival Springfield College at 2:30 p.m., and St. Lawrence (4-1) travels to Bard College at noon.