Beauchamp (four goals) and Ward (three goals, one assist) lead WNE offense
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (March 24, 2018) – Springfield College posted a 7-0 run that spanned the first three quarters on its way to an 11-7 win over Western New England University on Saturday afternoon in non-conference men's lacrosse action at Stagg Field.
• Senior midfielder Nicholas Beauchamp (Wilbraham, Mass.) and junior attackman Jared Ward (Littleton, Mass.) carried the load for the Golden Bears on offense, as Beauchamp scored four goals and Ward tallied three goals and one assist.
• Junior faceoff specialist Hunter Cocks (Walden, N.Y.) went 15-for-20 at the X and secured a game-high eight ground balls.
• Springfield was led by senior midfielder Duncan Preston (South Portland, Maine), who recorded two goals and one assist.
• Senior Tom Hurley (Goffstown, N.H.) and junior Cameron Glover (Brunswick, Maine) chipped in with two goals each, while junior Jack Vail (Franklin, Mass.) handed out three assists for the Pride.
Beauchamp gave the Golden Bears a 1-0 lead with an unassisted strike 2:37 into the contest, and Western New England doubled its advantage when sophomore Nick Gamba (East Islip, N.Y.) set up Ward with 5:40 remaining in the opening quarter.
Senior Matt Allen (Chevy Chase, Md.) got Springfield on the board three minutes later, and the Pride trailed 2-1 at the conclusion of a low scoring first period.
The home team scored the only two goals of the second quarter to claim a 3-2 edge at halftime. Hurley tallied the game-tying goal just over a minute into the frame, and sophomore Tommy Nash (Massapequa, N.Y.) put the Pride ahead for good when he beat Kerr with 10:54 on the clock.
Springfield extended its advantage to five (7-2) with a 4-0 run to start the third quarter, with Vail assisting on two of the Pride's goals.
Ward snapped Western New England's scoring drought on a feed from senior Marc Fiocco (Somers, N.Y.) with 4:12 to play in the third quarter, but Springfield restored its five-goal cushion heading into the fourth as Hurley found the back of the cage in the final minute of the period.
Beauchamp scored three times over the final 15 minutes of play and Ward added a man-up goal, but the Golden Bears were unable to overcome their five-goal deficit as Springfield held on for the win.
• The Pride outshot the Golden Bears 33-31, while Western New England held a 22-17 edge in ground balls.
• Western New England senior goalie Steven Kerr (Hopkinton, Mass.) finished with 11 saves on 22 shots, while Springfield senior Jake Reynolds (Scituate, Mass.) made eight saves on 15 shots.
• Beauchamp and Ward rank first and second on the team with 21 and 20 points, respectively.
Western New England (3-5) opens Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) play at home against Curry College on Tuesday night, while Springfield (5-2) hosts Amherst College on Wednesday night.