Palmer, Mass. native leads NCAA Division III with ten goals through four games
CHICOPEE, Mass. (September 9, 2017) – Senior forward Troy Remillard (Palmer, Mass.) continued his prolific early season scoring pace with another hat trick as the Western New England University men's soccer team rolled to a 5-1 victory over Elms College on Saturday afternoon at Leary Field.
• Remillard took a team-high eight shots and found the back of the net in the 14th, 43rd and 44th minutes.
• Junior midfielder Nick Liccardi (Hopewell Junction, N.Y.) and sophomore midfielder Ty Champagne (Watertown, Conn.) both scored their first goals of the season.
• Elms sophomore Babba Jaden (Clarkston, Ga.) got the Blazers on the board in the 51st minute.
• Western New England forged an early lead as Remillard finished a cross from graduate midfielder Kory Caster (Wilbraham, Mass.) at the 13:15 mark.
• Champagne made it 2-0 in the 22nd minute, when he collected a loose ball following a blocked shot and fired a shot through traffic into the back of the net.
• Liccardi slotted home a penalty kick with 14:30 remaining in the first half, and Remillard tallied his second goal of the contest at the 42:21 mark to give the Golden Bears a 4-0 advantage.
• Just 1:24 later, Remillard was on the receiving end of a cross from his brother, freshman Matt Remillard (Palmer, Mass.), which he headed into the back of the net.
• Jaden spoiled Western New England's shutout bid early in the second half as he redirected senior midfielder C.J. Dabkowski's (Bristol, Conn.) free kick into the net.
• Remillard, who entered Saturday's action with an NCAA Division III-leading seven goals, now has ten through four games this season.
• The Golden Bears outshot the Blazers 24-8 and held a 6-2 advantage in corner kicks.
• Junior goalkeeper Tyler Lavigne (Hopewell Junction, N.Y.) made three saves on the four shots that he faced.
Both teams will be back in action on Wednesday, as Western New England (3-1) travels to Westfield State and Elms (0-3) hits the road for a contest at Pine Manor.