Western New England remains undefeated (3-0-1) in CCC play
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (October 7, 2017) – Seniors Troy Remillard (Palmer, Mass.) and Logan Pingree (Middletown, Conn.) led the Western New England University men's soccer team to a 4-1 victory over Nichols College on Saturday afternoon in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) play at Suprenant Field.
Prior to the start of the contest, Western New England honored its four seniors, Remillard, Pingree, and defenders Connor Rubin (Guilderland, N.Y.) and Alan Haberern (Durham, Conn.), as well as graduate student Kory Caster (Wilbraham, Mass.) for their contributions to the program.
• Remillard factored into all three of Western New England's goals in the first half, providing an assist on the opener before netting two himself.
• Pingree got the Golden Bears on the board early in the contest and recorded an assist on Remillard's second tally.
• Sophomore forward Corey Brown (Somers, Conn.) was also a key offensive contributor for the Golden Bears with a goal and an assist.
• Nichols senior Paul Sickinger (Tyngsboro, Mass.) scored the lone goal for the Bison, his team-leading seventh of the season.
• Western New England jumped out to a 1-0 lead just 2:42 into the contest. Junior midfielder Nick Liccardi (Hopewell Junction, N.Y.) sent a long free kick into the 18-yard box, which Remillard got his head on, sending the ball toward the near post. Pingree was there to head the ball off Nichols junior keeper Patrick Porpora (Westminster, Mass.) and into the net for the game's opening goal.
• The Golden Bears doubled their advantage in the 18th minute, when Brown played a ball forward to Remillard, who got in behind the Nichols defense and buried a shot inside the far post.
• Sickinger got the Bison on the board in the 29th minute, when he was on the receiving end of a long cross from junior Gregory Giglio (Deer Park, N.Y.), heading the service past Western New England junior goalkeeper Tyler Lavigne (Hopewell Junction, N.Y.).
• The Golden Bears restored their two-goal lead at the 31:19 mark, however, as Pingree found Remillard with a pass from the middle of the field and the senior forward slotted his shot past the dive of Porpora.
• Brown tacked on one more goal for Western New England on a feed from sophomore Ty Champagne (Watertown, Conn.) in the 54th minute.
• Western New England outshot Nichols 18-13 and held a 7-5 edge in corner kicks.
• Remillard leads the CCC with 39 points this season following his five-point performance.
• Brown has recorded eight points over his last five games with three goals and two assists.
Both teams will be back in action on Tuesday, as Western New England (8-3-1, 3-0-1 CCC) hosts Wentworth in a rematch of last season's CCC Championship game, and Nichols (6-4-2, 2-2-0 CCC) travels to Beverly, Mass. to face Endicott.