Golden Bears rally for 7-4 win in opener, before posting 3-0 shutout in game two
BEVERLY, Mass. (April 5, 2017) – The Western New England University softball team improved to 4-0 in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) play with a pair of victories at Endicott College on Wednesday. The Golden Bears used a five-run fourth inning to rally past the Gulls for a 7-4 victory in the opener, before posting a 3-0 shutout in game two behind another strong effort from freshman Paige Uliase (Meriden, Conn.).
Western New England 7, Endicott 4
• Seniors Corianna DeLisi (Tuxedo, N.Y.) and Gabby Lavinio (Dalton, Mass.) led the Golden Bears at the plate in the opener, as DeLisi went 3-for-4 with a double, one RBI and two runs scored out of the leadoff spot and Lavinio posted a 2-for-4 effort with three RBI.
• Freshman Aimee Kistner (Taunton, Mass.) got the start in the circle and earned the win (3-0) after allowing just two earned runs over five innings.
• Sophomore Jamie Hopgood (Warwick, R.I.) was the lone Gull to record multiple hits, as she went 2-for-4 with a double and one RBI.
• Endicott opened the scoring with three runs in the bottom of the first, as Hopgood delivered a one-out, RBI double to center field and a fielding error later in the frame allowed two more runs to cross the plate.
• Trailing by the same margin in the fourth, Western New England scored five runs to claim a 5-3 lead. After the first two batters in the frame were retired, senior Katie Wood (Westport, Mass.) drew a walk and freshman Tori Fisher (Poestenkill, N.Y.) followed with an RBI double to left field. After the next two batters walked to load the bases, DeLisi came up and singled to right field, plating Fisher. Junior Lindsay Williams (Coventry, Conn.) followed with a bases loaded walk, before Lavinio capped the big inning with a single to left center, scoring two more runs.
• Endicott got one run back in the fifth, but the Golden Bears answered with single runs in the sixth and seventh innings and junior Emily Cramer (Stoughton, Mass.) earned her first save of the season with a pair of scoreless frames.
Western New England 3, Endicott 0
• Uliase, the reigning CCC Pitcher and Rookie of the Week, turned in yet another strong performance in the circle to help the Golden Bears complete the doubleheader sweep. The freshman went the distance for the fourth time in six starts this season, striking out four batters and allowing seven hits over seven shutout innings.
• Wood went 2-for-3 at the plate with one run scored, while Lavinio and freshman Carlie Moss (Delmar, N.Y.) recorded one RBI each.
• Western New England provided Uliase with all of the run support that she would need in the first inning, as DeLisi led off with a single to center field before coming in to score on a sacrifice fly by Lavinio.
• The Golden Bears added a run in the fifth on Moss' RBI single to left center, and Uliase stranded two runners in scoring position in the bottom half of the inning.
• The first two Gulls to come to the plate in the sixth reached base on singles, and both advanced into scoring position with no outs on a wild pitch. Uliase buckled down and retired the next three batters in order, however, to preserve Western New England's 3-0 lead.
• The Golden Bears tacked on one more run in the seventh, and Uliase retired the side in order in the bottom of the inning to complete her shutout.
• Western New England is 4-0 since returning from its season-opening trip to Florida.
• Uliase has not allowed a run over her last 14 innings of work.
• Lavinio recorded four RBI over the two contests.
Western New England (12-2, 4-0 CCC) will look to keep rolling on Saturday, as the Golden Bears return home to host the University of New England. Endicott (4-8, 0-2 CCC) takes on UNE in Beverly on Friday, before traveling to Boston for two games at Wentworth on Saturday.