Williams delivers game-winning single in opener
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (April 8, 2017) – A walk-off victory in game one highlighted the Western New England University softball team's doubleheader split with the University of New England on Saturday afternoon in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action at Golden Bear Park. Western New England won the opener in dramatic fashion, 6-5, before dropping game two by a 9-3 score.
Western New England 6, UNE 5
• Junior Lindsay Williams (Coventry, Conn.) led the way for the Golden Bears in the opener, going 2-for-4 at the plate with a walk, one run scored and two RBI. Williams provided the game-winning hit with her RBI single to center field in the bottom of the seventh.
• Senior Katie Wood (Westport, Mass.) also went 2-for-4 with a double, one run scored and two RBI, while classmate Gabby Lavinio (Dalton, Mass.) doubled twice and scored a run.
• Freshmen Lauren Gerhard (Merrimack, N.H.) and Sarah Lachapelle (Gilford, N.H.) helped fuel UNE's late rally, as Gerhard went 2-for-3 with a walk, a double and one RBI, and Lachapelle posted a 2-for-4 effort with a home run and two RBI.
• Western New England jumped out to a 4-0 lead in the first inning with five hits, including a two-run double to right center field by Wood, and RBI hits by freshmen Aimee Kistner (Taunton, Mass.) and Paige Uliase (Meriden, Conn.).
• The Nor'easters got one run back in the fourth on an RBI single by Lachapelle, but the Golden Bears restored their four-run lead in the bottom of the sixth when Williams singled to right center, plating freshman Danielle Flint (Kinderhook, N.Y.).
• Trailing 5-1 heading into the top of the seventh, UNE put together a four-run rally to tie the contest. Lachapelle led off with a homer to make it 5-2, and the Nor'easters eventually loaded the bases with two outs in the inning. Sophomore Andrea Gosper (Wyoming, R.I.), Gerhard, and junior Samantha Dreissig (Linden, N.J.) all drew walks to tie the score, before Western England brought on junior Sarah Broderick (Woodbury, Conn.) to record the final out of the frame with a strikeout.
• In the bottom of the seventh, junior Samantha Pelow (Torrington, Conn.) reached base on a fielder's choice, before being replaced by pinch-runner Sydney Pounds (Milford, Mass.). The freshman advanced to second when Flint walked with two outs, and came in to score on the next play as Williams drove in the game-winning run with a single to center field.
UNE 9, Western New England 3
• Williams again led the Golden Bears in game two, as she went 3-for-4 with one RBI, while Kistner and Flint drove in one run each.
• Gosper powered the UNE offense, tallying two hits and two RBI, while freshmen Kelsey Mansfield (Brookline, N.H.) and Melissa Jakubowski (Danbury, Conn.) also drove in two runs each.
• Gerhard staked the Nor'easters to a 1-0 lead in the first inning with an RBI single to left field, and UNE added six more runs in the fourth with the help of two-run singles by both Jakubowski and Gosper.
• Western New England, which was held hitless over the first three frames, got two runs back in the fifth on RBI singles by Flint and Williams, but a two-run single by Mansfield in the top of the sixth gave the Nor'easters a 9-2 lead.
• Kistner's RBI double in the bottom of the sixth capped the scoring in the contest.
• Williams went a combined 5-for-8 with three RBI over the two games.
• Western New England's game-two loss snapped a five-game winning streak.
Western New England (13-3, 5-1 CCC) will be on the road tomorrow at Curry, while UNE (8-6, 4-2 CCC) travels to Dudley, Mass. to face Nichols.