Golden Bears can finish no lower than second in CCC standings following sweep
BOSTON, Mass. (April 23, 2017) – The Western New England University softball team recorded 27 hits and scored 21 runs in a doubleheader sweep of the Wentworth Institute of Technology on Sunday afternoon at Carr Diamond. The Golden Bears posted a 12-2, six-inning victory in the opener, before shutting out the Leopards 9-0 in five innings in game two.
Western New England 12, Wentworth 2
• Senior catcher Corianna DeLisi (Tuxedo, N.Y.) and senior shortstop Gabby Lavinio (Dalton, Mass.) fueled the Western New England offense, as DeLisi went 3-for-4 with a walk, a double, two RBI and three runs scored, and Lavinio posted a 2-for-5 effort with a double, a home run and four RBI. Freshmen Aimee Kistner (Taunton, Mass.) and Tori Fisher (Poestenkill, N.Y.) also recorded two hits and two RBI each.
• Kistner got the start in the circle and retired all nine batters she faced in order while registering five strikeouts. Junior Emily Cramer (Stoughton, Mass.) worked the final three innings and earned the win in relief.
• Freshman Rebecca Wehrle (South Amboy, N.J.) accounted for two of Wentworth's four hits and drove in one of the Leopards' two runs.
• Western New England claimed a 2-0 lead in the first inning on an RBI single by Kistner and an RBI double by junior Jenn Luba (Plymouth, Conn.).
• The Golden Bears broke the game open with six runs the following inning to open up an 8-0 advantage. DeLisi and Fisher both recorded RBI singles, while Kistner followed Lavinio's three-run shot with a solo homer.
• Wentworth got two runs back in the fourth, one of which scored on an RBI double by Wehrle.
• An RBI double by Lavinio in the fifth extended Western New England's lead to 9-2, and the Golden Bears tacked on three more runs in the sixth to extend the margin to ten.
Western New England 9, Wentworth 0
• Lavinio recorded three more hits, including two doubles, to go with one RBI and three runs scored. Junior Lindsay Williams (Coventry, Conn.) went 2-for-3 with a walk, one RBI and three runs scored, while Kistner drove in four runs.
• Senior Samantha DiGiovanni (Shirley, N.Y.) earned the win in the circle after allowing just one hit over three shutout innings.
• Western New England's offense continued to roll in game two, as the Golden Bears put three runs on the board in the top of the first inning, with Kistner and Luba both recording one RBI each.
• Kistner's two-run single in the second gave Western New England a 5-0 lead, and the Golden Bears expanded their advantage to 9-0 with four more runs in the third. Williams, Lavinio, Kistner and senior Katie Wood (Westport, Mass.) all drove in a run in the frame as Western New England went on to complete the sweep.
• DeLisi went 7-for-14 (.500) with four RBI and five runs scored in four games this weekend in her return to the lineup after missing the previous 13 games with an injury.
• After driving in five runs today, Lavinio now has 98 in her career.
• DiGiovanni's four wins this season are a new career-high for the senior.
Western New England (23-9, 13-5 CCC) returns home to take on Wesleyan in a non-conference doubleheader on Tuesday, while Wentworth (2-23, 1-15 CCC) hosts Wheelock on Monday.