Moss posts 3-for-4 effort at the plate with four RBI, Kistner adds three hits with three runs scored
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (April 29, 2017) – The second-seeded Western New England University softball team opened the double elimination round of the 2017 Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) Tournament with a 9-3 victory over No. 3 seed Roger Williams University on Saturday afternoon at Golden Bear Park.
• Freshman outfielder Carlie Moss (Delmar, N.Y.) led Western New England at the plate, going 3-for-4 with four RBI and one run scored. Classmate Aimee Kistner (Taunton, Mass.), who was named CCC Rookie of the Year on Thursday, posted a 3-for-3 effort with a walk, a double and four runs scored, while senior Corianna DeLisi (Tuxedo, N.Y.) and junior Jen Zazzarino (Hopewell Junction, N.Y.) recorded one hit and RBI each.
• Kistner also got the start in the circle and picked up the win after allowing three runs on six hits over six innings of work.
• Senior Meredith Moise (North Reading, Mass.) paced the Hawks, going 2-for-4 out of the leadoff spot in the batting order with a home run and two RBI, while freshman Tara Chatowsky (North Kingstown, R.I.) went 2-for-3 with one run scored.
• Moise staked Roger Williams to a quick 1-0 advantage as she led off the top of the first with a solo homer, before senior Julianne Vesce (Mahwah, N.J.) doubled the Hawks' lead later in the frame with an RBI double to right center.
• The visitors' lead did not last long, however, as Western New England answered with three runs in the bottom of the first. DeLisi led off with a single up the middle, before advancing to second on a wild pitch and moving up to third when Roger Williams pitcher Juliet Hulme (Duxbury, Mass.) walked the bases loaded. After a sacrifice fly by senior Katie Wood (Westport, Mass.) got the Golden Bears on the board and a run-scoring error tied the contest, the Golden Bears pulled ahead on an RBI single to right field by Moss.
• The Hawks tied the game in the top of the second when Moise singled to center field, scoring Chatowsky, but Western New England took the lead for good in the bottom of the third on Moss' second RBI hit of the game, a single up the middle that plated Kistner.
• Still leading 4-3 entering the bottom of the fifth, the Golden Bears scored four insurance runs to open up a 8-3 advantage. After Moss drove in her third run of the game, senior Samantha Emmert (Hyde Park, N.Y.) drew a walk with the bases loaded and Zazzarino followed with an RBI single to left field before DeLisi capped the big frame with a sacrifice fly.
• Western New England tacked on one more run in the bottom of the sixth on a two-out RBI single by Moss.
• After giving up three runs on five hits over the first two innings, Kistner settled down and retired nine straight batters over the next three frames. The freshman also worked a scoreless sixth before turning it over to senior Samantha DiGiovanni (Shirley, N.Y.), who got the final three outs of the game.
• Eight of the nine Western New England starters reached base at least once.
Western New England (24-9) will take on top-seeded Salve Regina next Friday at 2 p.m. with a berth in Saturday's championship contest on the line. Roger Williams (23-17) will face No. 8 seed Gordon on Friday at 10 a.m. All remaining games of the CCC Tournament will be held at Toppa Field on the campus of Salve Regina University in Newport, R.I.