NEWPORT, R.I. (May 7, 2017) – The Western New England University softball team was eliminated from the Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) Tournament with a 7-1 loss to Roger Williams University on Sunday afternoon at Toppa Field on the campus of Salve Regina University.
Western New England's season comes to a close at 24-11, while Roger Williams (26-18) went on to lose to eventual champion Salve Regina later in the day.
• Senior shortstop Gabby Lavinio (Dalton, Mass.) went 1-for-3 at the plate and drove in Western New England's only run with an RBI double in the bottom of the first inning. Senior Katie Wood (Westport, Mass.) and freshman Carlie Moss (Delmar, N.Y.) also had one hit each for the Golden Bears.
• Senior Julianne Vesce (Mahwah, N.H.) led the Hawks offensively, going 2-for-2 at the plate with two walks, a double and two RBI. Freshman Tara Chatowsky (North Kingstown, R.I.) also drove in two runs, while senior Meredith Moise (North Reading, Mass.) went 2-for-4 with two runs scored out of the leadoff spot in the batting order.
• Freshman Rachel Wandzilak (West Islip, N.Y.) got the start in the circle and went the distance, allowing just one run on three hits over her seven innings of work. Wandzilak also went 2-for-4 at the plate with one RBI and one run scored.
• Roger Williams opened up an early lead with three runs on three hits in the top of the first inning. Moise led off with a single to left field, before eventually coming in to score on an RBI groundout by freshman Alyssa Murray (Green Brook, N.J.). Chatowsky came up next with the bases still loaded and drove in two runs with a single through the right side of the infield.
• Western New England got one run back in the bottom half of the inning when Lavinio came through with a two-out, RBI double to right center field.
• Roger Williams put one run on the board in both the second and third innings, before capping the scoring with two runs in the sixth.