Canning records season-high seven points for Western New England
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (April 2, 2017) – The University of New England women's lacrosse team scored the game-tying goal with 38 seconds remaining in regulation before going on to register a 14-13 victory over Western New England University in overtime on Sunday afternoon in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) play at Golden Bear Stadium.
• Junior Rachel Canning (Lincoln Park, N.J.) led the way for Western New England with a season-high seven points on five goals and two assists, while classmate Julia Winer (Longmeadow, Mass.) contributed five points (three goals, two assists) and freshman Shannen Barrett (Rensselaer, N.Y.) added four (three goals, one assist).
• Graduate midfielder Emma Norden (Belchertown, Mass.) secured a team-high six ground balls, and senior defender Alexa Kimker (Waltham, Mass.) collected a team-best five draw controls.
• Senior midfielder Jocelyn Davee (Freeport, Maine) paced the Nor'easters with a strong all-around performance, as she tallied three goals, including the game-winner in overtime, to go with one assist, six ground balls, four draw controls and one caused turnover.
• Sophomore Korinne Bohunsky (Eliot, Maine) was also a key contributor for UNE with five points (three goals, two assists), eight draw controls, three ground balls and two caused turnovers.
• Winer got the scoring started for Western New England with her 14th goal of the season just over a minute into the contest, before setting up Barrett at the 25:46 mark as the Golden Bears opened up a 2-0 lead.
• The Nor'easters answered with a 2-0 run to tie the score, before Canning restored Western New England's lead with her first goal of the game with 19:56 on the clock.
• Two straight goals by sophomore Nichole Carvalho (South Kingstown, R.I.) midway through the half allowed UNE to claim its first lead (5-4).
• Trailing 7-6 after freshman Madison Barron's (Lebanon, Pa.) goal with just under nine minutes remaining in the first half, the Nor'easters closed out the frame with a 3-0 run to take a 9-7 lead at the break.
• Western New England tied the contest at 9-9 with goals by Winer at the 27:11 and 17:54 marks of the second half, before regaining the lead (11-10) on an unassisted goal by freshman Lindsey Phillips (East Longmeadow, Mass.) with 14:13 remaining.
• UNE pulled even on two occasions after that point, but both times Canning answered to put Western New England back in front.
• Davee set up Bohunsky for the game-tying goal with just 38 seconds remaining in regulation. Following a Western New England penalty early in overtime, UNE took advantage of the man-up opportunity as Davee netted the game-winner on a feed from Carvalho 1:09 into the extra session.
• UNE outshot Western New England 40-24 and held a 36-29 advantage in ground balls.
• Junior goalie Shannon McFadden (West Islip, N.Y.) finished with 16 saves on 30 shots.
Western New England (3-7, 0-2 CCC) returns to action on Wednesday at Curry, while UNE (5-5, 2-1 CCC) travels to No. 20 Colby.