Breen scores three goals for Golden Bears, Ruby tallies one goal and three assists
BRISTOL, R.I. (April 14, 2018) – The Roger Williams University women's lacrosse team built a seven-goal first half lead on its way to a 19-7 win over Western New England University on Saturday afternoon in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action at Bayside Field.
• Junior Kristen Breen (Ellington, Conn.) led the Golden Bears with three goals, while sophomore Eileen Ruby (New Fairfield, Conn.) contributed one goal and three assists.
• Roger Williams senior midfielder Kaelin Hogan (Bethel, Conn.) paced the Hawks offensively with four goals and three assists.
• Freshman Delana Erickson (Concord, N.H.) and junior Emily Stoeppel (Brookfield, Conn.) recorded three goals and seven draw controls each, while sophomore Shayne Rivard (Easton, Conn.) chipped in with three goals and two assists.
Roger Williams jumped out to a quick 7-0 lead over the first 15 minutes of play, with Hogan responsible for three of the Hawks' goals. Breen scored for Western New England with 12:09 left in the half to put the Golden Bears on the board.
Roger Williams came back with goals from Lauren Flahive (Foxborough, Mass.) and Rivard to extend the home team's lead to 9-1. Freshman Alex Sacco (Concord, N.H.) added a score for the Golden Bears with 3:50 left in the half before Devon Sarazin (Falmouth, Maine) and Breen traded tallies to close out the period. Roger Williams went into the break up by a 10-3 margin.
Stoeppel scored in the opening minute of the second half but Breen got the goal back right off of the ensuing draw. Roger Williams went up 14-4 with 21:06 left, before sophomores Ariella Ruggiero (Valhalla, N.Y.), Ruby, and Kaitlyn Hutter (Stamford, Conn.) cut it to seven with 16:10 left. The Hawks pulled away late, however, ending the game on a 5-0 run to extend the final margin to 12.
• Western New England senior goalie Shannon McFadden (West Islip, N.Y.) made 18 saves on 37 shots.
• The Hawks held a 19-8 advantage in draw controls, led by Erickson and Stoeppel.
• Breen leads the team and ranks 13th in the CCC with 35 points this season.
Both teams will be back in action on Wednesday, as Western New England (4-10, 3-3 CCC) returns home to host Western Connecticut and Roger Williams (10-3, 5-1 CCC) travels to Nichols.