Ruby nets game-winning goal with 23 seconds remaining to cap rally
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (April 18, 2018) – The Western New England University women's lacrosse team scored four unanswered goals over the final 13:19 of regulation to earn a 14-13, senior day victory over Western Connecticut State University on Wednesday afternoon in non-conference action at Golden Bear Stadium.
Prior to the start of the contest, Western New England honored senior goalie Shannon McFadden (West Islip, N.Y.) for her contributions to the program over the last four years.
• Freshman Reilly Miller (Goshen, N.Y.) was among six Golden Bears to post multi-point efforts, as she scored a team-high four goals.
• Junior Kristen Breen (Ellington, Conn.) recorded three goals and an assist, while sophomore Eileen Ruby (New Fairfield, Conn.) scored the game-winning goal and also contributed two assists and five draw controls.
• Western Connecticut was led by sophomore Brooke Baldelli (New Fairfield, Conn.), who tallied six goals and one assist to go with three draws and two caused turnovers.
• Junior Lauren Bradshaw (Bethel, Conn.) scored twice and handed out five assists while securing five draws, and classmate Amber Andrews (New Milford, Conn.) chipped in with four points (three goals, one assist).
After scoring with four seconds left in the first half to tie the score at 8-8 heading into the break, Baldelli buried a pair of goals early in the second half to put the Colonials up by two.
Western Connecticut led by the same margin (12-10) following Baldelli's sixth and final goal with 17:01 remaining in the contest, and the visitors claimed their largest lead of the afternoon (13-10) when freshman Kelly Lourenco (New Milford, Conn.) scored with 14:07 on the clock.
The Golden Bears kept the Colonials off the board the rest of the way, however, and freshman Danielle Skates' (Berlin, Conn.) goal at the 13:19 mark sparked Western New England's 4-0 run to end the contest.
Freshman Alex Sacco (Concord, N.H.) converted a free position shot with 7:05 to play to cut the Golden Bears' deficit to one (13-12), and Miller tallied another free position goal just over two minutes later to tie the contest.
After the Golden Bears gained possession late in regulation, Ruby notched the game-winning goal with 23 seconds remaining to cap Western New England's comeback.
The Golden Bears held their largest lead of the game (5-2) following a free position goal by Miller that came at the conclusion of a 4-0 run with 17:30 left in the first half.
The Colonials answered with a 3-0 spurt to tie the score, and the teams traded goals over the final 11:50 of the period.
• McFadden finished with 13 saves on senior day.
• The Colonials outshot the Golden Bears 37-32, but Western New England held a 22-18 edge in ground balls.
• Breen (39), Miller (28) and Ruby (26) rank first, second and third on the team in points.
Both teams will be back in action on Saturday, as Western New England (5-10) travels to Salve Regina and Western Connecticut (3-10) returns home to host Plymouth State.