Lemekha finishes with six saves in setback
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (September 6, 2017) – Senior forward Kim Quiles (Poughkeepsie, N.Y.) found the back of the net in the first half, lifting the Springfield College women's soccer team to a 1-0 victory over Western New England University on Wednesday evening at Brock Affleck Field.
• Sophomore goalkeeper Alex Lemekha (Stamford, Conn.) stopped six of the seven shots that she faced.
• Senior forward Brooke Labrie (Granby, Mass.) accounted for both of Western New England's shots on goal in the contest.
• Quiles' goal, her first of the season, proved to be the difference in the contest.
• Senior goalkeeper Ciara Boucher (Manchester, Conn.) saved both of Labrie's attempts to earn her second shutout.
• After nearly 37 minutes of scoreless action, the Pride broke through for the only goal of the night. Quiles, who had just taken a corner kick for Springfield, ended up with the ball following a failed clear attempt. The senior fired a shot that deflected off Lemekha's hands and into the net to make it 1-0.
• Labrie put shots on target in the 63rd and 90th minutes, but Boucher stopped both to preserve the victory for the home team.
• Springfield outshot Western New England 20-2 and held a 4-0 edge in corner kicks.
• Lemekha's six saves tonight are her most through three games this season.
Western New England (0-2-1) returns to action on Saturday, when the Golden Bears host New Paltz in their home opener at 1 p.m. Springfield (3-0) remains at home to host Endicott on Saturday at 2 p.m.