Senior Danielle Dixon scores for second straight game
CHICOPEE, Mass. (September 20, 2017) – Senior midfielder Danielle Dixon (Plainville, Conn.) scored for the second consecutive game, but the Western New England University women's soccer team was edged by Elms College, 2-1, on Wednesday evening in non-conference action at Leary Field.
• Dixon put two shots on target and scored Western New England's only goal of the contest.
• Elms junior midfielder Kelsey Shea (Belchertown, Mass.) came through with both the equalizer and the go-ahead goal for the Blazers, both of which came from the penalty spot.
• Dixon staked the Golden Bears to a 1-0 lead just 48 seconds into the contest when she put back a rebound following a save by Elms sophomore Rebecca Molin (West Hartford, Conn.).
• Shea levelled the score at 1-1 with a penalty kick goal in the 8th minute.
•.The game remained tied for the remainder of the half, before Shea put the Blazers in front for good with another penalty kick at the 52:35 mark.
• Western New England outshot Elms 10-8 and held a 3-1 advantage in corner kicks.
•.Sophomore goalkeeper Alex Lemekha (Stamford, Conn.) made four saves on six shots.
Both teams will be back in action on Saturday, as Western New England (3-3-1) returns home to resume Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) play against Salve Regina at 11 a.m., and Elms (6-2) travels to Lesley for a NECC contest at 6 p.m.