Decost's scores first career goal in 62nd minute, Lemekha registers fourth clean sheet of the season
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (September 23, 2017) – Freshman midfielder Kristin Decost (Hudson, N.H.) scored her first career goal and sophomore goalkeeper Alex Lemekha (Stamford, Conn.) registered her fourth shutout of the season as the Western New England University women's soccer team earned a 1-0 victory over Salve Regina University on Saturday morning in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) play at Suprenant Field.
• Decost provided all of the offense the Golden Bears would need, with the help of an assist from senior midfielder Danielle Dixon (Plainville, Conn.).
• Lemekha stopped all six of the shots that she faced, with three coming in each half.
• After a scoreless first half, Western New England broke through for the game's only goal in the 62nd minute. Dixon played a ball from the middle of the field into Decost, who got past the Salve Regina defense and beat Seahawks junior goalkeeper Carly Pala (Milford, Conn.) with a shot inside the near post.
• Lemekha stopped the only shot she faced the rest of the way, an attempt by Salve Regina junior midfielder Abby McMackin (Walpole, Mass.) in the 83rd minute.
• Western New England held the edge in both shots (13-12) and corner kicks (4-3).
• The Golden Bears have already earned two CCC wins this fall after recording three all of last season.
• Lemekha leads the CCC with four shutouts.
Western New England (4-3-1, 2-0 CCC) hosts Smith on Wednesday afternoon, while Salve Regina (1-5-2, 0-1-1 CCC) returns home to face Fitchburg State on Thursday.