Golden Bears outshoot Pioneers 15-9
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (September 27, 2017) – The Smith College women's soccer team scored all three of its goals in the second half of a 3-0 victory over Western New England University on Wednesday afternoon in non-conference action at Suprenant Field.
• Senior defender Marielle Caron (East Longmeadow, Mass.) tallied a team-high three shots on goal for the Golden Bears, while sophomores Kaeli Serafino (Ludlow, Mass.) and Jordan Gilmore (Waterbury, Conn.) recorded one each.
• Senior Kenza Mdarhri-Alaoui (Alexandria, Va.), junior Pamela Larkin (Los Gatos, Calif.) and freshman freshman Kelly McKenna (Wilton, Conn.) all scored for the Pioneers.
• Smith senior goalkeeper Shelby Hall (West Springfield, Mass.) registered a five-save shutout.
• Western New England had one of its best scoring chances in the seventh minute, when Serafino's attempt was stopped by Hall at the near post.
• The contest remained scoreless through the remainder of the first half, but Smith struck for the game's opening goal at the 47:27 mark when McKenna chipped a shot over Lemekha and into the right corner of the net.
• The Pioneers added an insurance tally in the 78th minute, as Mdarhri-Alaoui finished a low cross from freshman Jessica Matsuoka (Redding, Conn.) at the far post for her team-leading fourth goal of the season.
• Smith tacked on one more goal in the final minute, as Larkin scored on a feed from senior Jordan Isaacs (Weston, Conn.).
• Although they were unable to find the back of the net, the Golden Bears outshot the Pioneers 15-9.
• Smith held a 7-3 advantage in corner kicks.
• Western New England was held without a goal for the first time since September 6.
Both teams will be back in action on Saturday, as Western New England (4-4-1) resumes Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) play at Endicott, and Smith (4-4) returns home to host WPI.