Labrie and Gilmore score for Golden Bears
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (October 7, 2017) – Senior Brooke Labrie (Granby, Mass.) and sophomore Jordan Gilmore (Waterbury, Conn.) scored 29 seconds apart late in the second half as the Western New England University women's soccer team earned a 2-0 victory over Nichols College on Saturday afternoon at Suprenant Field.
Prior to the start of the contest, Western New England honored its six seniors, Danielle Dixon (Plainville, Conn.), Christina Delude (Belchertown, Mass.), Maddie Morgan (Upton, Mass.), Iman Shehemi (Feeding Hill, Mass.), Marielle Caron (East Longmeadow, Mass.) and Labrie, for their contributions to the program.
• Labrie and Gilmore provided the offense for Western New England, while sophomore goalkeeper Alex Lemekha (Stamford, Conn.) stopped the only shot that she faced to earn her fifth shutout this season.
• Nichols junior Brooke Downey (Middleboro, Mass.) finished with 14 saves on 16 shots.
• After a scoreless first half, Western New England had several scoring opportunities early in the second period.
• Labrie came on as a substitution at the 77:56 mark and found the back of the net 34 seconds later. Following a throw in and a failed Nichols clearance, Labrie collected the loose ball and fired it into the right corner of the net.
• Just 29 seconds later, sophomore Alicia Frappier (Granby, Mass.) found Gilmore, who slotted a shot past Downey to double Western New England's advantage.
• The Golden Bears outshot the Bison 21-9, while Nichols held a 3-2 edge in corner kicks.
• Lemekha's five shutouts are tied for first in the CCC.
• Frappier now leads the Golden Bears with six points this season.
Both teams will be back in action on Monday, as Western New England (5-5-2, 3-1 CCC) hosts Westfield State and Nichols (4-6-1, 1-2-1 CCC) travels to Endicott.