Senior Christina Delude nets first goal of the season for Western New England
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (October 9, 2017) – The Western New England University women's soccer team fell to Westfield State University, 2-1, in overtime on Monday afternoon in non-conference action at Suprenant Field.
• Senior midfielder Christina Delude (Belchertown, Mass.) scored her first goal of the season and third of her career for the Golden Bears. Delude also led Western New England with three shots on goal.
• Junior forward Nicole Chretien (North Attleboro, Mass.) found the back of the net twice for Westfield State, including the game-winning goal in overtime.
• Delude broke the scoreless deadlock at the 71:19 mark following a corner kick by senior Marielle Caron (East Longmeadow, Mass.). After several Westfield State defenders failed to clear the ball out of the box, Delude pounced on the loose ball and poked it past Owls' junior goalkeeper Natalia Falcone (Sutton, Mass.).
• Western New England's lead was short lived, however, as the visitors equalized just 50 seconds later. Westfield State was awarded a free kick, which senior Rene Hamel (Monson, Mass.) sent towards the far post from 30 yards out. Junior Casey Rotti (Rutland, Mass.) got her head on the ball and redirected it to the near post, where Chretien was waiting to tap it into the back of the net.
• The Owls secured the game-winner 3:17 into the overtime period, when a deflection allowed Chretien to get in behind the Western New England defense. The junior made the most of the opportunity, burying a shot in the lower right corner of the net.
• The two teams were even in both shots (17-17) and corner kicks (5-5).
• Sophomore goalkeeper Alex Lemekha (Stamford, Conn.) finished with five saves for the Golden Bears.
Western New England (5-6-2) resumes Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) play on Wednesday against Wentworth, while Westfield State (6-4-2) travels to Bridgewater State for a MASCAC contest on Saturday.