Golden Bears improve to 4-1 in CCC play
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (October 11, 2017) – A pair of goals late in the second half lifted the Western New England University women's soccer team to a 2-0 victory over the Wentworth Institute of Technology on Wednesday afternoon in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action at Suprenant Field.
• Freshman Shawna O'Neill (Worcester, Mass.) broke a scoreless tie at the 82:17 mark with the first goal of her collegiate career.
• Freshman Morgan Smith (Manchester, Conn.) netted her team-leading third goal of the season in the final minute to seal the victory for the Golden Bears.
• Senior Brooke Labrie (Granby, Mass.) was credited with two assists after setting up both goals.
• The Golden Bears put four shots on target in the first half, but the game remained scoreless at the break.
• Sophomore goalkeeper Alex Lemekha (Stamford, Conn.) made her lone save of the contest in the 76th minute on a shot by Wentworth freshman Sam Kinard (Scottsdale, Ariz.).
• Western New England finally broke through with 7:43 remaining in regulation, when Labrie sent in a cross from the edge of the six-yard box to O'Neill, who buried a shot into the back of the net.
• The Golden Bears added an insurance goal in the 90th minute, as Labrie sent a long pass up the field to Smith, who outran a Wentworth defender and snuck a shot between the near post Wentworth junior goalkeeper Micaela Robinson (Goshen, N.Y.).
• Western New England outshot Wentworth 16-5 and held a 5-0 advantage in corner kicks.
• Lemekha leads the CCC with six shutouts this season.
• Underclassmen have accounted for nine of Western New England's 13 goals through 14 games.
Both teams will be back in action on Saturday, as the Golden Bears (6-6-2, 4-1 CCC) travel to Eastern Nazarene and Wentworth (4-8-1, 2-2-1 CCC) returns home to host Roger Williams.