SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (January 28, 2017) – The Western New England University women's swimming team posted a 129-125 victory over the University of St. Joseph (Conn.) in its home finale last night at the Alumni Healthful Living Center.
• Junior Janelle Lief (San Jose, Calif.) registered a season-best time in the 100-yard butterfly, swimming to first place in 1:08.55. Lief also finished second in the 50-yard butterfly (32.26) seconds and was part of Western New England's 200-yard medley relay team that finished second in 2:03.82.
• Junior Erika Sheinhait (Framingham, Mass.) turned in a season-best time in the 50-yard backstroke (31.34 seconds), good for second place, while also earning an A-Cut for the New England Championships with a personal best time of 36.32 seconds. Additionally, Sheinhait finished first in the 50-yard butterfly (29.43 seconds) and 100-yard freestyle (1:00.65), earning nine points towards Western New England's team score with each triumph.
• Junior Jacquelyn Peterson (Beverly, Mass.) recorded a pair of event wins in the 1000-yard freestyle (12.33.06) and 500-yard freestyle (6:04.31).
Other Notable Performances
• Freshman Brittany Bosma (North Port, Fla.) posted a first-place finish in the 50-yard freestyle (27.95 seconds) after placing second in the 200-yard freestyle (2:15.78), her fastest time of the season in the event.
• Junior Ali Johnstone (Southwick, Mass.) registered a New England Championship A-Cut performance in the 50-yard breaststroke with a season-best time of 37.44 seconds, her best of the season. Johnstone also shaved one second off her season-best time in the 200-yard individual medley, finishing third in 2:48.80.
With its dual meet schedule now complete, Western New England will be back in action the weekend of February 17-19 at the New England Intercollegiate Swimming & Diving Association (NEISDA) Championships, hosted by the University of Rhode Island.