Six Golden Bears finish in top-15 overall
WEST HARTFORD, Conn. (October 29, 2017) – Sophomore Kayla Snider (Leesburg, Va.) and senior Erika Sheinhait (Framingham, Mass.) of the Western New England University women's swimming team both finished in the top-10 on Friday night at the Blue Jay Pentathlon Invitational, hosted by the University of St. Joseph at Bruyette Natatorium.
Snider and Sheinhait were among six Golden Bears to place in the top-15 of the 29-swimmer field at the Pentathlon, in which all athletes compete in five 100-meter events (backstroke, breaststroke, butterfly, freestyle, individual medley).
• Snider placed third overall with NEISDA-qualifying efforts in four of five events, including 'A' cut efforts in the backstroke (1:07.74), butterfly (1:05.62) and individual medley (1:07.60), and a 'B' cut performance in the breaststroke (1:19.60). Snider finished third overall in both the butterfly and individual medley, fourth in the backstroke and sixth in the breaststroke.
• Sheinhait's combined time of 6:00.39 over the five events was good for sixth overall, with her top performances coming in the freestyle (6th, 1:01.88), butterfly (7th, 1:11.59) and individual medley (8th, 1:11.58), the last two of which were NEISDA "B" cut times.
• Sophomore Emily Elliott (Cortland, N.Y.) placed 11th overall with her best finish of eighth coming in the breaststroke (1:20.66)
Other Notable Performances
• Senior Janelle Lief (San Jose, Calif.) posted a NEISDA 'B' cut performance in the butterfly (1:11.00), finishing sixth overall in the event.
• Freshman Lauren Mangiaratti (Ashland, Mass.) registered the highest individual finish for a Golden Bear in any event, as she placed second in the breaststroke with a time of 1:16.48.
Western New England will be back in action on Friday, when the Golden Bears open their dual meet schedule at Western Connecticut State.