Snider leads Golden Bears with trio of event wins
DANBURY, Conn. (November 3, 2017) – The Western New England University women's swimming team posted a 167-99 victory over Western Connecticut State University on Friday evening at the O'Neill Center Pool.
• Sophomore Kayla Snider (Leesburg, Va.) led the Golden Bears with three event wins and a pair of NEISDA 'A' cut efforts.
• Seniors Jacquelyn Peterson (Beverly, Mass.) and Erika Sheinhait (Framingham, Mass.) and freshman Lauren Mangiaratti (Ashland, Mass.) all won two events each for Western New England.
• Western Connecticut sophomore Rachel Peet (New Fairfield, Conn.) registered a pair of first place efforts to pace the Colonials.
• Western New England's 200-yard medley relay of Snider, Mangiaratti, Sheinhait and sophomore Emily Elliott (Cortland, N.Y.) finished first with a time of 2:04.65.
• Peterson picked up her first win of the day in the 1000-yard freestyle, earning a time of 12:46.38. After a pair of WestConn wins in the next two events, Mangiaratti turned in a NEISDA 'A' cut performance in the 50-yard breaststroke with a time of 35.13 seconds.
• Peterson finished first in the 100-yard butterfly (1:16.56), before Sheinhait picked up victories in the 50-yard freestyle (27.77 seconds) and 100-yard freestyle (1:02.12).
• Snider added nine points to Western New England's score with her first place finish in the 100-yard backstroke (1:07.96) and Mangiaratti swam her fastest time of the season in the 100-yard breaststroke (1:16.47). Also competing in the 100-breaststroke was Elliott, who finished second with an 'A' cut effort (1:19.47) and senior Ali Johnstone (Southwick, Mass.), who turned in her fastest time of the season (1:23.29).
• Snider tallied her second and third wins of the meet in the 50-yard butterfly (29.89 seconds) and 100-yard individual medley (1:08.04), the first of which was a NEISDA 'A' cut performance.
• Western New England capped the meet with another relay win in the 200-yard freestyle, with Mangiaratti, Elliott, Peterson and Sheinhait posting a time of 1:53.77.
Western New England (1-0) continues its dual meet schedule on Wednesday at Westfield State, before returning to Springfield for its home opener against Gordon next Saturday, November 11 at noon.