Snider wins 200-IM and places second in 200-backstroke
BRIDGEWATER, Mass. (December 2, 2017) – The Western New England University women's swimming team finished third among six teams on Saturday at the Bridgewater State University Invitational at Dr. Mary Jo Moriarty Pool.
The Golden Bears compiled 270 points on their way to third place in the six-team field that also featured host Bridgewater State (578 points), the University of New England (525 points), Cedar Crest College (150 points), Gordon College (108 points), and Maine Maritime Academy (39 points).
• Sophomore Kayla Snider (Leesburg, Va.) had a strong day with a trio of top-five finishes, including a first place effort in the 200-yard individual medley, which she won with a time of 2:23.59. Snider also finished second in the 200-backstroke (2:27.51), fourth in the 100-backstroke (1:07.02) and seventh in the 50-breaststroke (31.90 seconds).
• Freshman Lauren Mangiaratti (Ashland, Mass.) turned in third place performances in both the 100-breaststroke (1:16.26, NEISDA 'A' cut) and 50-breaststroke (35.13 seconds) to go with a fifth place finish in the 200-breaststroke (2:50.39). Mangiaratti also competed in the 400-individual medley, where she led four Golden Bears in the event with a sixth place finish in 5:39.46 (NEISDA 'B' cut).
• Senior Janelle Lief (San Jose, Calif.) placed fourth in the 200-butterfly (2:43.71, NESIDA 'A' cut), sixth in the 100-butterfly (1:13.35) and seventh in the 50-butterfly (29.81 seconds).
• Freshman Sarah Bartlett (Branford, Conn.) was the top Golden Bear performer in the 200-freestyle, as she finished 12th and earned a time of 2:24.85.
• Senior Jacquelyn Peterson (Beverly, Mass.) placed seventh in the 500-freestyle (6:09.06), 15th in the 100-freestyle (1:03.77) and 22nd in the 50-freestyle (29.34 seconds).
Western New England will be off for over a month before returning to action on Monday, January 8, when the Golden Bears return home to host Babson College in their home opener at the AHLC Pool.