Sophomore Morgan Schrader posts 7-6, 10-6 win at No. 2 singles
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (September 1, 2017) – The Western New England University women's tennis team suffered an 8-1 loss to Johnson & Wales University on Friday afternoon in its season opener at the Volvo Outdoor Courts.
• Sophomore Morgan Schrader (Burnt Hills, N.Y.) accounted for Western New England's lone win of the match with her 7-6, 10-6 triumph at No. 2 singles.
• Sophomore Nina Cohen (Guatemala City, Guatemala) paced the Wildcats with wins in both singles and doubles action.
• Cohen teamed up with junior Delaney Macchirole (Greenport, N.Y.) for an 8-0 win over Schrader and senior Christina D'Agostino (Bohemia, N.Y.) at No. 1 doubles. The Wildcats were also victorious at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles as they opened up a 3-0 lead.
• Cohen defeated Western New England freshman Maylene LaPress (Bedford, N.H.) in her collegiate debut, 6-1, 6-4.
• Schrader got the Golden Bears on the board with a 7-6, 10-6 result at No. 2.
• D'Agostino took the first set against junior Lauren Torre (New Fairfield, Conn.) at No. 3 singles, but Torre battled back with 6-2 and 10-8 wins in the second and third sets, respectively.
Western New England (0-1) returns to action next Saturday against Curry, while Johnson & Wales (1-0) travels to Curry on Tuesday.