D'Agostino & Phu honored prior to start of match
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (September 24, 2017) – The Western New England University women's tennis team earned a 9-0 victory over Johnson State College on Sunday morning in non-conference action at the Volvo Outdoor Courts.
Prior to the start of the match, Western New England recognized its two senior captains, Christina D'Agostino (Bohemia, N.Y.) and Kim Phu (Wolfeboro, N.H.) for their contributions to the program over the past four years.
• D'Agostino played a key role in Western New England's victory, earning points in both singles and doubles play, while Phu was victorious at No. 3 doubles along with sophomore Rachel Bauer (Palmer, Mass.).
• Sophomore Morgan Schrader (Burnt Hills, N.Y.) improved to 4-2 in singles play and 2-4 in doubles action with wins in both on Sunday.
• Western New England established a 3-0 lead with wins at all three doubles flights. Schrader and D'Agostino picked up an 8-2 victory over Nicole Monick and Sam Kershner at No. 1, while freshman Maylene LaPress (Bedford, N.H.) and junior Petra Martinelli (Vernon, Conn.) earned an 8-2 result over Kali Covell and Mikayla Messier at No. 2. At the No. 3 position, Phu and Bauer defeated Ashley Fogg and Sarah Lind, 8-1.
• LaPress topped Monick at No. 1 singles, 7-5, 6-1, while Schrader rolled to a 6-0, 6-0 win over Covell and D'Agostino posted a 6-1, 6-3 victory over Messier at No. 2 and No. 3, respectively.
• Bauer overcame an opening set loss at No. 4 singles to defeat Grace Page, 3-6, 6-1, 10-3, and Martinelli cruised to a 6-1, 6-0 result over Fogg at No 5. Freshman Jessica Cote (Groton, Conn.) rounded out Western New England's singles lineup with a 6-0, 6-1 victory at No. 6.
Both teams will be back in action on Wednesday, when Western New England (2-4) hosts Endicott and Johnson State (3-6) travels to Green Mountain.