Three Golden Bears record double-digit kills, Sibiskie tallies career-high 44 assists
WENHAM, Mass. (September 26, 2017) – Three different Golden Bears recorded double-digit kills as the Western New England University volleyball team earned a 3-1 (25-23, 22-25, 25-20, 25-21) victory at Gordon College on Tuesday evening in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action at the Bennett Center.
• Sophomore middle blocker Cassandra Holmes (Ellington, Conn.) hit .381 with a team-high 12 kills and two block assists.
• Senior outside hitter Emmaline Chiodini (St. Louis, Mo.) recorded a double-double with ten kills and 19 digs.
• Freshman middle blocker Abigail Bundy (Lebanon, Conn.) hit .375 with 11 kills and three block assists.
• Sophomore setter Caitlyn Sibiskie (Rockfall, Conn.) handed out a career-high 44 assists to go with nine digs, three service aces and two block assists.
• Sophomore outside hitter Amanda Snyder (San Jose, Calif.) led the Fighting Scots with a team-high 19 kills and nine digs.
• Junior outside hitter Mackenzie Hinds (Higganum, Conn.) tallied 13 kills and nine digs for Gordon.
• Trailing 18-15 in the opening set, Western New England took control with a 6-0 run to open up a 21-18 advantage. Gordon pulled back to within one (24-23) late, before a kill by Holmes ended the set in favor of the Golden Bears.
• Neither team led by more than three points in the second set until Hinds put the Fighting Scots ahead 17-13 with a kill midway through the frame. Gordon did not relinquish its lead the rest of the way, tying the match 1-1.
• Leading 11-9 in the third set, a kill by Chiodini sparked a 6-2 Western New England run that saw the Golden Bears claim a 17-11 advantage. The Fighting Scots fought back and cut their deficit to two (21-19), but late kills by Bundy and senior Sam Heffer (Bethpage, N.Y.) and a Gordon attack error ended the frame.
• With the set tied at 12, the Golden Bears won four straight points to establish a 16-12 lead. Western New England did not let its advantage fall below three the rest of the way as the visitors sealed the win with a 25-21 triumph.
• CCC Libero of the Week Brianna Roath (Jackson, N.J.) tallied 20+ digs for the second straight match and fifth time this season.
• The Golden Bears hit .146 with 52 kills and 30 kills in 151 attempts.
Western New England (8-7, 2-1 CCC) returns to action on Thursday at Wellesley, while Gordon (9-6, 2-1 CCC) hosts Salem State on Saturday.