Heffer records team-high ten kills for Western New England
WELLESLEY, Mass. (September 28, 2017) – The Western New England University volleyball team fell to Wellesley College, 3-0 (25-9, 25-21, 25-20) on Thursday evening in non-conference action at Dorothy Towne Fieldhouse.
• Senor Sam Heffer (Bethpage, N.Y.) recorded a team-high ten kills for the Golden Bears, while classmate Brianna Roath (Jackson, N.J.) finished with 12 digs and sophomore Caitlyn Sibiskie (Rockfall, Conn.) tallied 23 assists.
• Freshman Lauren Gedney (Huntersville, N.C.) led Wellesley, hitting .455 with a match-high 11 kills.
• Junior setter Michelle Li (Scarsdale, N.Y.) totaled 24 assists and 12 digs for the Blue.
• Wellesley hit .348 in the opening set and used a 9-0 run midway through the frame to take control en route to a 25-9 victory.
• The home team established a 13-6 advantage in the second set, but Western New England was able to eventually cut its deficit to one (19-18) on a kill by Heffer. The Golden Bears would get no closer, however, as Wellesley closed out the frame with a 6-3 run to take a 2-0 lead in the match.
• The Blue scored the first seven points of the third set and held a commanding 10-1 advantage early. Western New England battled back, closing to within five (14-9) and forcing a Wellesley timeout.
• After pushing its lead back to eight (23-15), Wellesley withstood one final Golden Bear rally to complete the sweep.
• Western New England hit .104 for the match, while Wellesley posted a .253 attack percentage.
• Heffer has posted four 10+ kill efforts this season.
Both teams will be back in action on Saturday, as Western New England (8-8) returns home to host a tri-match with Westfield State and Eastern Connecticut, and Wellesley (9-3) remains at home to take on Springfield.