Golden Bears play two longest sets of the season
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (October 4, 2017) – The Western New England University volleyball team won a marathon third set before falling to Roger Williams University, 3-1 (25-16, 25-18, 29-31, 30-28) on Wednesday evening in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action at the Alumni Healthful Living Center.
• Senior outside hitter Emmaline Chiodini (St. Louis, Mo.) led the Golden Bears with a team-high 15 kills and 16 digs for her seventh double-double of the season.
• Sophomore setter Caitlyn Sibiskie (Rockfall, Conn.) finished one assist shy of matching her career-high with 43, while also totaling a career-high 19 digs, four service aces and four kills.
• Senior libero Brianna Roath (Jackson, N.J.) paced the Western New England defense with 23 digs.
• Sophomore outside hitter Laura Lolacono (Lynbrook, N.Y.) fueled Roger Williams offensively, hitting .349 with a match-high 22 kills.
• Sophomore setter Julia Fields (Cortlandt Manor, N.Y.) handed out 55 assists to go with seven kills and eight digs, while senior libero Meghan Chartier (Inverness, Ill.) posted 24 digs.
• The Hawks hit .310 and .323 in the first and second sets, respectively, recording 23 kills with just four errors over the two frames en route to a 2-0 lead in the match.
• Western New England led 6-1 early in the third set, but Roger Williams quickly closed the gap and regained the lead (12-11) on a kill by Lolacono. The Hawks eventually established a four-point cushion (19-15), before Western New England pulled even again at 22-22. The teams continued to go back and forth until a kill by freshman Toni Fiore (Yorktown Heights, N.Y.) and a service ace by Sibiskie gave the Golden Bears a 31-29 win.
• The fourth set was even more tightly contested, as neither team was able to establish more than a two-point lead until the Hawks went up 18-15 on a kill by Lolacono. Three straight Golden Bear points evened the score, however, and the two teams continued to trade points late into the set with the 25th and final tie of the frame occurring at 28-28. A kill by Fields followed by a Western New England attack error put an end to the set and the match as the Hawks escaped with a hard fought victory.
• The third and fourth sets were Western New England's two longest of the season.
• Chiodini, who was named the CCC Player of the Week on Monday, has recorded three consecutive double-doubles and five in the last six matches overall.
• Sibiskie and classmate Cassandra Holmes (Ellington, Conn.) tallied two block assists each.
Western New England (10-9, 2-2 CCC) is off until next Wednesday, when the Golden Bears travel to Endicott. Roger Williams (10-6, 4-0 CCC) takes on Westfield State and Springfield College on Saturday at the Tom Hay Invitational.