Chiodini registers eighth double-double this season with 11 kills and 17 digs
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (October 21, 2017) – The Western New England University volleyball team earned a 3-0 (25-21, 25-16, 25-21) victory over the University of New England on Saturday afternoon in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action at the Alumni Healthful Living Center.
• Senior outside hitter Emmaline Chiodini (St. Louis, Mo.) led the way for the Golden Bears, hitting .409 with team-highs in both kills (11) and digs (17) to go with a pair of service aces.
• Senior outside hitter Alona Kornberg (Fair Lawn, N.J.) finished with eight kills, five digs and two block assists.
• Sophomore Caitlyn Sibiskie (Rockfall, Conn.) and freshman Jenna McCormack (Nashua, N.H.) split the setting duties, recording 16 assists each. Sibiskie was also one dig shy of a double-double with nine, while tallying a match-best four aces.
• Junior middle hitter Bekah Mather (Welches, Ore.) paced the Nor'easters with a team-high ten kills and five digs.
• Freshman setter Sydney Christiansen (Palatine, Ill.) posted a double-double with 14 assists and ten digs.
• Trailing 16-12 in the opening set, Western New England used a 6-0 run to grab an 18-16 lead. The Nor'easters were able to tie the frame on three occasions after that point, including at 21-21, but the Golden Bears won the final four points to seal the set.
• Western New England established an early 9-3 lead in the second set and never let the Nor'easters get to within five the rest of the way. The Golden Bears extended their advantage to nine (21-12) on a kill by Kornberg later in the frame, before going on to win by the same margin.
• Holding a 13-12 edge midway through the third set, Western New England fell victim to a 4-0 UNE run that was bookended by Mather kills. The Golden Bears posted their own 4-0 run to regain an 18-17 edge, and went on to complete the sweep with freshman middle blocker Abigail Bundy (Lebanon, Conn.) providing the final kill.
• Chiodini's double-double is her first since October 4 and eighth this season.
• The Golden Bears hit .500 in the second set with 18 kills and just three attack errors. They posted an overall hitting percentage of .267.
• Western New England's win snaps a three-match CCC losing streak.
Both teams return to action on Tuesday, as Western New England (13-12, 3-4 CCC) travels to Nichols and UNE (9-13, 3-4 CCC) returns home to host Gordon.