Chiodini leads Golden Bears with ten kills (.421) & nine digs
DUDLEY, Mass. (October 24, 2017) – The Western New England University volleyball team earned a 3-0 (25-19, 25-23, 25-11) victory over Nichols College on Tuesday evening in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action at the Nichols Athletic Center.
• Senior outside hitter Emmaline Chiodini (St. Louis, Mo.) led the Golden Bears, hitting .421 with ten kills, nine digs and two blocks.
• Senior libero Brianna Roath (Jackson, N.J.) tallied a team-high 16 digs, while sophomore setter Caitlyn Sibiskie (Rockfall, Conn.) finished with ten assists and six digs.
• Sophomore outside hitter J'Ena Baker (Rockledge, Fla.) paced the Bison with eight kills, 15 digs and two aces.
• Trailing 11-9 early in the first set, the Golden Bears took control with a 7-0 run that gave them a 16-11 advantage. The Bison were able to eventually cut their deficit to two (19-17), before a kill by senior outside hitter Sam Heffer (Bethpage, N.Y.) sparked a 4-0 Western New England run as the Golden Bears pulled away late.
• Nichols raced out to a 7-2 lead in the second set, and the home team maintained the edge until a kill by Chiodini put the Golden Bears ahead 15-14 midway through the frame. The Bison appeared to be on their way to evening the match at one set apiece with a 4-0 run later in the frame that gave them a 21-18 advantage, but Western New England rallied late, winning seven of the final nine points to take a 2-0 lead.
• The Golden Bears, who again trailed early in the third set, utilized a 15-0 run on their way to a 25-11 triumph to complete the sweep.
• Western New England has won consecutive three-set matches and nine overall this season.
• Chiodini has recorded a team-high 28 kills over Western New England's last three matches.
• The Golden Bears posted a .113 attack percentage, while the Bison hit -.031 for the match.
Both teams return to action on Thursday night, as Western New England (14-12, 4-4 CCC) travels to Johnson & Wales University in Providence, R.I., and Nichols (3-24, 0-8 CCC) hits the road to take on Gordon College in Wenham, Mass.